Dockyards as nodes of naval architecture, maritime traditions and cultural heritage
National Museum of the Royal Navy Portsmouth 9-11 June 2022
Conference sponsored by the Society for Nautical Research
Keynote speakers Sir Neil Cossons OBE FSA & Professor Andrew Lambert FKC
This 3-day international conference will examine one topic each day. Submissions are invited on new research or a new interpretation of the following themes:
1. Thursday 9 June 2022 Building a warship
- Ship design: master shipwrights, naval architects
- Recovering skills: repairing historic sailing ships and building replica ships/boats
- Trades and crafts
- Sourcing timber and other matériel
- Construction methods
- Time-work-discipline, work organisation
- Private yard/royal dockyard comparison
2. Friday 10 June 2022 Dockyards as heritage
- Museum spaces or working dockyard spaces?
- Fossilised or living archive of dockyard structures?
- Conservation issues
- Tourism: costs and benefits
- Repurposed dockyards as exemplars of regeneration
3. Sat 11 June 2022 Dockyards as global hubs and regional centres of maritime culture
- Transnational phenomena
- Drivers of innovation and technology
- Loci of national power projection
- Unique urban landscapes
- Distinct demographic communities
This hybrid conference will be hosted by a professional virtual conferencing company which will run a rehearsal, so you will know what to expect.
If your proposal is accepted, the NDS will pay travel expenses (but not longhaul flights; if outside Europe your presentation will be livestreamed), your conference fee and lunch, publish it in our Transactions and give you a complimentary copy. Your talk will be 25 minutes. The published paper will be 6–10K words long, required three months after the Conference for editing.
Please send your title, the applicable theme, a 300-word synopsis, a 100-word biography and any queries by 15 February 2021 to Dr Ann Coats firstname.lastname@example.org
The full call is at https://navaldockyards.org/conferences/
The conference is organised by the Naval Dockyards Society