At this time, we are looking for volunteers to help with the transcription of documents for the ADM8 Database Project.
Recently, Sam McLean has created a Document Transcription interface (which he blogs about here) to make transcription must faster and to help eliminate *many* of the errors that were introduced by the previous method of transcription (that included CSV files and PHP scripts). Volunteers will use this interface to transcribe the monthly Deployment Reports from ADM 8 volumes 1 and 2.
Global Maritime History does not receive any funding, nor is it monetized. Unfortunately, this means that there are no funds to pay transcribers for their time and skills. Volunteers will be publicly and prolifically thanked, and Dr McLean would also be happy to provide references for volunteers. Further, Dr McLean would be happy to help volunteers with web development/website management/database design/troubleshooting in exchange for their time (as far as he is able to).
Volunteers will be provided with:
- A How-To document that provides a step-by-step and field-by-field explanation of the Transcription Interface
- A guide to the more common handwriting tricks in the document, and instructions for how to deal with special characters, and also how to accomodate places where the interface cannot duplicate the format of the report itself.
- links to the transcription of a completed report and the document photos, as an example
- links to reference documents and other digital projects that can be used for cross-checking and comparisons
- all the photos required for each report
Many of the reports are a single page, approximately 30 lines. Familiarity with the period (1673-1692), subject (the Royal Navy, its ships and officers) and documents of that time would allow transcriptions to happen more quickly, however they are not required and it doesn’t take very long to get one’s eye in. There will be no minimum contribution levels for volunteers- transcribing even a single report is very much appreciated
If you’re interested in transcribing a document (or more than one), please get in touch with Sam McLean.
I am interested in transcribing a document. Kindly let me know if the project is still on-going.
Looking forward to communication from you,
Dr. Vaishali J. Shinde