Our experienced Facebook Manager will retire at the 2022 AGM in March 2022 and we are seeking applications for this post. START date: 26 March 2022
To apply for this role, complete all the sections in NDS Facebook Manager Application here
Closing date: 15 January 2022
What is the NDS? – ‘Exploring the civil branches of navies and their material culture’
Founded in 1996, it has published 15 high quality journals and distributes 2 superb newsletters a year. It completed the Navy Board Project in 2019 and has won significant gains in Sheerness and Portsmouth Dockyards. In 2020 five grants were awarded to deserving dockyard groups. Its innovative online conferences in 2020 and 2021 and planning submissions widen our audiences. We want to build a bigger and better NDS and need the best officers to do so.
For further information about the NDS see
Attached is our recent newsletter Dockyards for our activities
The NDS has a popular Facebook profile with nearly 1,400 followers. It is an open group which anyone can join and in principle post items. There are more followers than members. Most items are posted by the Facebook manager, using his knowledge of maritime and dockyard affairs, from internet posts on social media and the press, joining mailing lists of institutions, and reading magazines and periodicals. Other committee members might suggest posts. Queries come from all over the world on Facebook Messenger and are usually answered within a couple of days by the Manager, with help of other committee members, where necessary.
- This is an honorary (unpaid volunteer) post. It is a NDS member position, so the successful applicant will become an NDS member, and if a full-time student their membership fee and future UK travel expenses to attend committee meetings and NDS conference will be paid by the Society (overseas officers would attend via zoom). Full-time students would also be paid a small honorarium.
- The successful applicant can be based anywhere globally as this is a remote role, because most NDS business is transacted online.
You can be studying or interested in virtually any topic, but education, history, sociology, maritime, built environment (architecture, civil engineering/surveying, planning), business and IT studies would be especially relevant; or be a member of a relevant volunteer organisation.
Before taking over this post the successful applicant will shadow and support the Facebook Manager to experience the range of NDS activities and take on specified mentored tasks. A potential candidate may correspond with the Facebook Manager. SHADOW DURATION: February-March 2022
NDS officers reached positions through support from others, endorsement or opportunities to observe and learn from experienced co-workers. The successful applicant will:
- Develop transferable skills and enhance their CV
- Improve personal attributes of self-organisation and collaboration
- Experience different working environments to help find the right career path
- Network, meet new friends and boost their confidence
- Gain practical experience in a role with examples to support job applications
- Apply their skills to the workplace and enhance their employability
See the Facebook Manager criteria, role and yearly duties here
Number of hours a week: probably 1-2, with more in weeks before Meetings and Conferences.
Complete and return NDS Facebook Manager Application Form (Part 1) (Part 2) to firstname.lastname@example.org
This should address your education, experience and skills, and levels of emotional intelligence arising from any appropriate cases which can be cited, which would fit you to become an NDS Facebook Manager:
- Why you’ve chosen to apply for this particular opportunity
- What skills and experience you could bring to the role
- Previous volunteering experience
- One reference from someone who can testify to your responsibilities in a relevant activity (voluntary or employed).
That you could commit to be in post for 2-3 years, to build up expertise and continuity.
Examples of ancillary mentored tasks available to the Trainee Facebook Manager
Depending on your inclination, any of these would be beneficial to the elected post:
- Raising awareness of the NDS by searching publications to place articles
- Setting up internet alerts for dockyard-related news items
- Tour promoting